Technology with a Singular Focus
The outstanding features of GammaPod™ grant to enhance clinical results and significantly decrease side effects.
GammaPod™ is the world’s first stereotactic radiotherapy system optimized for treating breast cancer
A Specialized Tool for a Specialized Patient Population
GammaPod™ is a new solution that is designed to provide highly conformal, noninvasive treatments with the potential to shorten the course of radiotherapy and limit doses to the whole breast, heart and lungs.
The ability to safely and confidently deliver a focal dose of radiation to a target within the breast is giving clinicians the opportunity to take breast radiotherapy to new levels.
With GammaPod™, radiation oncologists have a new tool for delivering ultra-accelerated courses of adjuvant stereotactic partial breast irradiation, reducing tumor bed boosts to a single fraction for patients receiving whole breast irradiation and neoadjuvant treatments at ablative dose levels.
How it Works
- Multisource Cobalt-60 stereotactic radiotherapy system
- Continuously rotates during treatment, creating thousands of beam angles.
- 25mm and 15mm collimators dynamically change during treatment.
- Table motion during treatment enables dynamic dose painting as the target moves across the focal spot in three dimensions.
Individual beams converge to create an intense focal spot, delivering the full dose to the target while sparing surrounding healthy tissue
The GammaPod™ breast cup system provides secure immobilization of the aStereotactic radiotherapy requires a high degree of precision to ensure accurate dose delivery. The GammaPod™ uses a first of its kind vacuum-assisted, dual-cup system that adheres noninvasively to the breast.
The GammaPod™ breast cup system provides secure immobilization of the affected breast and ensures setup reproducibility of the patient between imaging and treatment. The two-cup design enables air from between the cups to be evacuated using a suction pump to create a vacuum seal.
How it works
- Patients are custom fit with the appropriately sized inner cup
- Inner cup is joined via a silicone flange to a rigid outer cup containing an embedded stereotactic fiducial wire
- Adhesive on the flange helps the device adhere to the patient
- Attached suction pump evacuates the air from between the cups to provide a stable immobilization.
Adheres the breast cup system to the patient’s chest while joining the inner and outer cups.
Affected breast conforms to the shape of the lightweight inner cup when air is evacuated from between the cups for vacuum-assisted immobilization.
Rigid construction to minimize breast motion when the cup is docked to the imaging and treatment tables.
Clinical trials have found that prone positioning for breast cancer radiotherapy offers multiple benefits.1 The affected breast naturally falls away from chest wall and treatments can be designed to limit dose to the heart and lungs.
The GammaPod™ uses prone patient loaders in the imaging and treatment rooms to quickly and comfortably set up patients in the prone position. Providing reproducible setup at the time of imaging and treatment obviates the need for in-room image guidance.
How it Works
- Patients step onto the loader wearing the breast cup, which fits through an aperture in the couch and is securely docked in place
- Smooth rotation of the couch seamlessly moves patients from the standing to prone position
- For the Imager Loader, the CT table receives the couch and patient, which is then positioned for scanning
- For the Treatment Loader, the GammaPod receives the couch and patient, which is then positioned for treatment.
The GammaPod™ treatment planning system (TPS) uses sophisticated Monte Carlo dose calculations, the gold standard in radiotherapy, to create a dynamic travel path along which the couch will during the delivery of the prescribed dose. To accommodate the scan-plan-treat clinical workflow, the TPS provides clinicians with tools for quickly creating a new treatment plan each day based on changes to the target and anatomy.
How it Works
- Single-click localization of the stereotactic fiducial wire
- Intuitive contouring tools for defining the GTV with interpolation between image slices
- Easy creation of uniform margin expansion to define PTV
- Rapid optimization based on plan goals
- A highly conformal dose distribution with sharp falloff.
- Uniform target coverage.
- Low doses to the whole breast volume.
- Low heart doses, even with minimal distance from the target.